[custserv@netsol.com: Service Request Number: 1-UX4DN]

Todd T. Fries todd@fries.net
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:19:46 -0600

It makes perfect sense to do this.  Please explain if I'm missing something,
but the current strategy for resolving a domain is to try the first dns
server, and if that doesn't work, the next, etc.

Not that I want the 'first' dns server to be an ipv6 only dns server
(aka ns6.fries.net is 3ffe:b00:4004:1::1:6 and nothing else A or AAAA wise)
..

What I am trying to determine here is .. that if we're truly wanting to tell
the world 'here is ipv6, it is fully functional' how can we say this and
yet not be able to register a single ipv6 ip for a dns server?

Sure, I buy into the argument that it is not forward and not compatible
thinking if the only dns server for any domain is ipv6 only.  The time
will come for that, it is not yet here.  But the time has come and
past to be able to register an ipv6 dns server.  Case in point that
this works, ip6.int:

todd:1$ host -t ns ip6.int
ip6.int. name server z.ip6.int.
ip6.int. name server ns3.nic.fr.
ip6.int. name server flag.ep.net.
ip6.int. name server imag.imag.fr.
ip6.int. name server munnari.oz.au.
ip6.int. name server y.ip6.int.
todd:2$ host -t any z.ip6.int
z.ip6.int. has v6 address 0 3ffe:0:1::c620:242
z.ip6.int. has address 198.32.2.66
z.ip6.int. has AAAA address 3ffe:0:1::c620:242
todd:3$ host -t any ns3.nic.fr
ns3.nic.fr. has address 192.134.0.49
todd:4$ host -t any flag.ep.net
flag.ep.net. has address 198.32.4.13
todd:5$ host -t any imag.imag.fr
imag.imag.fr. mail is handled by 50 ebene.inrialpes.fr.
imag.imag.fr. mail is handled by 10 imag.imag.fr.
imag.imag.fr. mail is handled by 20 harmonie.imag.fr.
imag.imag.fr. has address 129.88.30.1
todd:6$ host -t any munnari.oz.au
munnari.oz.au. has address 128.250.22.2
munnari.oz.au. has address 128.250.1.21
todd:7$ host -t any y.ip6.int
y.ip6.int. has AAAA address 3ffe:50e::1
todd:8$

If you will note, there are several ipv6 dns servers and one (y.ip6.int)
is ipv6 only.  This does not stop ipv4 only clients from determining the
hostname of an ipv6 address.  But it does show that you can mix ipv4 and
ipv6 dns servers and things will work properly.  Now if someone could just
give me an example of a *-servers.net server (where * is a.root and a.gtld)
that dispenses AAAA addresses for any domain, I'd be grateful.  This would
be a 'step' to show that the toplevel dns servers are capable of
dispensing information, and only the infrastructure to update them
is what is not in place.

In short, we're not 'there' yet.  Where 'there' is 'having deployed ipv6
globally everywhere'.  How do we get 'there' ?  I feel that taking steps
such as the one I'm trying to is one of many ways.  The more ways we
try, the better off we are.  As Vincent Cerf says (speaking of the 6bone and
ipv6 usage in general) at http://www.ipv6forum.com/navbar/technology/papers.htm,

	"Think of it this way: my old friend Bob Metcalf calling something
	 we call METCALF's Law.

	 It says that the value of a network is equal to the square of the
	 number of people who use it.

	 So when you join a network, you not only get to enjoy its facilities,
	 but your presence also increases the value of the network for others.

	 Together, we can take the Internet where no other network has gone
	 before."

Penned by Paul de Weerd on Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 03:20:17PM +0100, we have:
| On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 02:41:36PM +0100, Rico -mc- Gloeckner wrote:
| | On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 02:52:42PM +0100, Paul de Weerd wrote:
| | > Servers that either
| | > a)	resolve IPv6 adresses (back and forth)
| |
| | any DNS Server is able to do this.
| | IPV6 RRs forward are just AAAA (instead of A) RRs.
| | Reverse its just the hexa ip, dot-seperated nibbles read reversely under
| | the ip6.int domain
| | (i.e. e.f.f.3.ip6.int for IN RR of 3ffe::)
| |
| | > b)	are accessible through IPv6
| |
| | It doesnt (yet) make sense to do this. Any ipv4 client trying to resolve
| | your domin will fail in doing that because it wont be able to reach your
| | DNS Server via ipv6.
|
| Why not ? I have a fully operational DNS server that is accessible
| through IPv4 *AND* IPv6.
| Suppose NS contains'ns.domain.tld' and that this resolves to both an
| IPv4 and an IPv6 address. Where does the ipv4 client fail in resolving
| my domain ?
|
| Anyway, I was just answering your question on what IPv6 DNS servers
| were and I still think that it's either a or b or both.

| |
| | 	-mc
| |

--