whois: getting all "application" line

David Kessens david@IPRG.nokia.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 11:22:15 -0700

Itojun,

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 02:22:16PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >	hi, i'm thinking of configuring a box, which monitors IPv6 reachability
> >	from my IPv6 network to other IPv6 networks.  6bone whois has
> >	"appliation" lines, which invies us to ping remote network.
> >
> >>application:  ping sh1.iijlab.net
>
> 	are there anyone maintain such list for sTLAs?
> 	i queried APNIC registry and it seems that these "application" lines
> 	are not a requiremnt (or not a common practice).  or if someone could
> 	suggest a good tool/existing webpage, it would be very nice.  thanks.

The 'inet6num' objects are for administrative purposes, that is, they
are intended to register who got address space allocated. They don't
tell anything about the physical infrastructure.

The 'ipv6-site' objects describe how a site is setup from a
technical/routing point of view. eg. which prefixes are announced from
which AS, what your tunnels are, whether you have application running
that people can you to test their v6 implementions etc..

Currently, we have only one repository for 'ipv6-site' objects and
this is the 6bone registry. Anybody with ipv6 address space can
register their information in the 6bone registry. I personnally
consider it a feature that there is currently only one such registry
(look at the not-so-well distributed nature of the ipv4 routing
registries).

Thanks,

David K.
---