ROUTING IPv6B

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 02 May 2001 10:26:40 -0700

Rob,

At 01:02 PM 5/2/2001 -0400, Robert J. Rockell wrote:
>->Unfortunately this is not an easy task and
>->getting pTLA's to host you is not too easy either.
>
>Isn't this an implied reason to grant pTLA status to an organization?  If
>this is true, I would like to see pTLA status revoked for those who want
>address space, but don't do any ipv6 work...

There is not a requirement for a pTLA to grant tunnel access to whomever
wants it. Many pTLA's are in the business of supporting their own user
community (my network, ESnet, is one), hence the requirement for becoming a
pTLA that you have some user community to serve.

I don't really know of any pTLA that doesn't do any IPv6 work. There are
certainly sites that once active in v6 have gone dormant. Some have even
turned their pTLA in voluntarily.

>How to quantify, however, is another story....

Certainly true. From the 6bone intro:

"The initial 6bone focus was on testing of standards and implementations,
while the current focus is more on testing of transition and operational
procedures."

Unstated here, but important as well, is that we encourage networks and
sites to get early experience with IPv6. Becoming too sticky about all this
isn't going to encourage people to join the 6bone.

>I will give tunnels to any and all comers (your ping time should be under a
>second).  208.19.223.30 is the v4 endpoint.

Good.

Thanks,

Bob