ROUTING IPv6

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 02 May 2001 09:27:02 -0700

Julio,

At 05:44 PM 5/2/2001 +0000, Julio Aparicio Varela wrote:

>I am new in this affair, so my excuses if I am saying nonsenses, but is
>there any way to make a connection with the 6bone without tunneling IPv6
>in IPv4?, I mean, is there any straight way to connect or to make sure
>that mid-routers work in IPv6?

There is no requirement that folk participating in the 6bone use manually
configured tunnelling. At this time there are some (many?) native IPv6
links, and also some automatically configured tunnelling using the 6to4
mechanism (which isn't under the 6bone space at all as it has its own prefix).

As for a straight(forward) way to connect, it is either a matter of
searching for and/or asking via the 6bone list for folks to host you with
manually configured tunnels, or use 6to4 (see the link on the 6bone.net
home page).

There is no real easy way to make sure mid-routers work when you are
tunnelling. As with any network, you end up relying on the reputation (and
results you get in practice) of the ISPs you choose. It is one of the
reasons folk carefully look at the paths, proximity and performance of
6bone pTLA's they choose. Unfortunately this is not an easy task and
getting pTLA's to host you is not too easy either. It is one of the reasons
that 6to4 will be popular in the opinion of many of us as we move along in
migration to IPv6.

Bob