pTLA 3FFE:FFF0::/28 for test & example use per draft-blanchet-ipngwg-testadd-00.txt, closes 20Jun01

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:43:12 -0700

6bone folk,

You can see from the email exchange below, and the draft at:

<http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-blanchet-ipngwg-testadd-00.txt>

"Abstract To reduce the likelihood of conflict and confusion, an IPv6
prefix is reserved for use in private testing or as examples in other RFCs,
documentation, and the like. Since site local addresses have special
meaning in IPv6, these cannot be used in many example situations and are
confusing. Instead, an IPv6 prefix is reserved in the range of the test
address space."

that Marc Blanchet has proposed a 6bone pTLA prefix be assigned for private
testing or examples in RFCs.

I propose assigning the 6bone pTLA 3FFE:FFF0::/28 for this purpose. It is
at the very top of the 28-bit 6bone prefix range, and is only a tiny part
(1/2048th) of that prefix space.

IMO, the likelihood of the 6bone testing address space of 3FFE::/16 going
away in the foreseeable future is no more likely than the complete
deprecation and disappearance of the current aggregatable global unicast
address space, in which case all this would be irrelevant.

Anyway, if you have any comments on this please reply to me or the list by
20 June.

Thanks,

Bob

===