IPv6 Router solicitation in Address Autoconfiguration

Rizkalla, Simon srizkalla@uecomm.com.au
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:57:01 +1100

To whom it may concern,

		I am working for Uecomm in Australia and we are currently in
the process of deploying IPv6 in our netowrk.  I have a query about router
solicitation, within stateless 	autoconfiguration.

		After the host sends a query, called neighbor discovery, to
the same address (itself) to verify the uniqueness of the link local address
and there is no response, hence it is unique,  the host then sends a
multicast address for configuration by the router (router solicitation).

		My question is why does the host send a multicast address
rather than an anycast address, requesting for router solicitation?

Regards
Simon Rizkalla