pTLA request for MICROSOFT - review closes 2 January 2002

Michael Kjorling michael@kjorling.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:34:26 +0100 (CET)

On Dec 19 2001 16:22 -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Michael> (from the 6Bone whois) ipv6-site: MICROSOFT origin: AS8070
>     Michael> descr: Microsoft IPv6 Site country: US prefix:
>     Michael> 3FFE:2900:201::/48 prefix: 3FFE:C00:8036::/48
>
>   Aren't these prefixes subject to recall?

That is something I know nothing about, actually.

>     Michael> Plus, if they decide to make their services (say, Passport)
>     Michael> IPv6-only when a great deal of the world does not speak IPv6,
>     Michael> that will cause a major uproar. I don't think they would be able
>     Michael> to do that, actually.
>
>   Who said anything about making password IPv6 only?
>   You just might have to have an IPv6 address to use it.

Which, in the end, would amount to about the same thing.

My definition of "IPv6-only" would be that you have to have IPv6 to
use it.

>     Michael> As I have said, I am not a fan of Microsoft. But I don't see why
>     Michael> them getting a pTLA on 6Bone or not would help or stop them from
>     Michael> developing incompatible protocols. Those are two completely
>     Michael> different issues.
>
>   I'm just throwing a strawman into the field.
>   There are many things that having control over a number space permits.

I won't argue that particular point one way or another - I just
wonder, does it help or prevent them from developing protocols,
compatible or not? I seriously think it doesn't do much for that.
There _are_ site local prefixes available if they just want a large
number of addresses, and I am certain there is ways to toss packets
back and forth between sites as well.

Michael Kjörling

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
Internet: michael@kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4   \/
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e

"There is something to be said about not trying to be glamorous
and popular and cool. Just be real -- and life will be real."
(Joyce Sequichie Hifler, September 13 2001, www.hifler.com)