Announcing 2003::/16 during tests of "shipworm"

David Kessens 6bone-list@kessens.com
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:28:56 -0800

Bob,

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:04:48AM -0800, Bob Fink wrote:

> A point that should be re-emphasized about the 6bone is that it does have a
> need to interconnect to the "production" IPv6 Internet. A
> non-interconnected set of networks is not the Internet as we all know and
> love it, and the v6 Internet is no exception.

It seems that we are already quite far past the point that the 6bone
is just a test network. There really isn't any 'production' ipv6
network that is separate of the 6bone. It is one big (?) ipv6 Internet.

Every network outside your own is totally out of your control (of
course we are all under Microsofts control :-)). It is usually a good
idea to protect oneself against all the evil that is out there and
that is everybodies own reponsibility. You will need this protection
anyways because there is not only people out there who are testing new
protocols, but there is an even larger number of people who just make
plain mistakes.

Just keep continue the testing and if you consider yourself a
production network, keep protecting yourself against the people
testing the new protocols and we should be able to coexist for a long
time to come.

At the same time, there is nothing wrong with people raising questions
on the maillist about things that seem to be wrong or in error. We
do want to hear about such cases and judge for ourselves whether it
merits to deploy extra protective armor that we didn't deploy already
in our networks.

David K.
---