6to4 relay router survey

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:56:20 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Paul Aitken wrote:
> Bob Fink wrote:
> >
> > 6bone Folk,
> >
> > I would like to find out how many of you are deploying/using 6to4 relay
> > routers at this time. Also, whether you plan to in the future.
>
> Cisco has been successfully operating a 6to4 relay for some time, and we
> plan to continue offering this service for the foreseeable future.
> Feedback from customers has been positive, although we have more
> customers with fully configured tunnels than 6to4 customers - I've
> configured five new fully configured tunnels and only one 6to4 customer
> this week.

Excuse me.. how do you measure a "6to4 customer"?  By definition there has
to be no prior configuration.  (And when I tested 6to4 relay functionality
in Cisco IOS 12.2(2)T, it wasn't possible to restrict users by access
lists either).

Also, speaking of customers, as a general 6to4 management issue..:

I sure would be interested of nice ways to accomplish either:

 1) monitoring the usage, getting user counts etc. statistics that are
much more easily available with configured tunnel/native customers

 2) test suite for verifying relay functionality, so that the relay can be
fixed ASAP or removed from BGP/IGP announcements if failing.