6to4 relay router survey

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:58:27 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Bob Fink wrote:
> I would like to find out how many of you are deploying/using 6to4 relay
> routers at this time. Also, whether you plan to in the future.
>
> Please include any technical info, such as anycast (or other) use for
> discovery, and anything else you think relevant, e.g., platform...

We've had an experimental 6to4 relay for semi-internal use for some time
now.  (Un)Fortunately (however you take it :-), we don't have many 6to4
users, so this only helps with one direction of the traffic.

We've also tested 6to4 w/ anycast address.  There were some
implementation, and some operational issues, with this.  Most prominently
6to4 has been (mostly) designed from start to only operate with one 6to4
prefix.  Any real box today would _have to have_ both real 6to4 prefix
derived from real IPv4 address and one from IPv4 anycast address.
So, you'd have to run the two on two different systems.

Anycast is not being used at all yet in interdomain (DFZ) advertisements.

I'm going to write more on this on ngtrans.