idea for ipv6 allocation scheme

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:56:05 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, David Gethings wrote:
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-00.txt
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-00.txt
> >
> > This creates a more unique 48-bit prefix and leaves the rest to the users.
> >
> I personally think the above is worse than John's idea. Not only does this
> require that these /48's be globally routed making it near impossible to
> aggregate this address space, but it also gives an attacker the 10m location of
> a persons or organisations internet access point! A bombers paradise.

Any serious bomber can find out where the company is located anyway... :-)

/48's don't need to be globally routed, provided that there are
regional/areal exchanges that are willing to advertise the aggregate
prefixes.  When the number of global /48's increase, I guess the number of
these would increase too.