idea for ipv6 allocation scheme

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 09:47:22 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, John O Comeau wrote:
> This is probably not precisely the best venue for this discussion, but
> there are a lot of intelligent people on this list with the necessary
> diversity of viewpoints to give this a thorough beating. And if it meets
> dead silence, I'll know it was a complete waste of time typing this in.

You might want to check out Tony Hain's (additional) Provider Independent
assignment idea:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-00.txt

This creates a more unique 48-bit prefix and leaves the rest to the users.