ipv6 testing

Brian Russo brusso@phys.hawaii.edu
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:44:01 -1000

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:44:32AM +0800, Keith Tang (HTHK - Engineer II, NW3G) wrote:

> Hi :
> 	Thank you for replying my Email.
> 1.	I use windows 2000 and Linux 6.2 be my end-point connection to 6
> bone
>
> 2.	For the software, I am not quite sure what your meaning. I use IE to
> connect to the internet, Sometimes FTP.......... Any different??
>
> 3.	Connecting to the 6bone, I thing I should have a IPV6 address. How
> can I get it?
> 			Or I should get a Traditional Ipv4 address first,
> then convert it to IPV6
>
> 4.	My location is Hong Kong, However, I know none of ISP in Hong Kong
> supporting IPV6 now.  Is this a problem?. I have a windows2000 PC at home ,
> with a cisco router 1401 and its password, connecting to a ISP by Leased
> Line With Real IPV4. So I want to use this windows 2000 PC connecting to my
> office Linux 6.2 by ipv6 address.

I take it by "Linux 6.2" you mean RHS Linux 6.2
Linux kernels 2.2.x and 2.4.x (still unreleased, but quite useable)
support IP6 (enable experimental options when you're confing the kernel prior
to build)

Microsoft Research has an experimental IP6 implementation
http://research.microsoft.com/msripv6/

As far as hooking up to the 6bone, http://6bone.net/6bone_hookup.html
is something you should probably read.
That and asking the friendly people on this list :)

> 5.	What is the function of 6bone?

The 6bone is an operational ip6 testbed.
basically to work out the kinks, and get people used to ip6 before major
deployment.
For more info check http://6bone.net

> Thank you very much.
>
> Keith Tang

 - brian.
| Brian Russo   <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>   (808) 957 2333
| Unix Staff: University of Hawaii High Energy Physics Group
+ Assume a spherical cow of uniform density.