internal routing-protocols for IPv6

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne@skypro.be
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:44:50 +0200 (CEST)

Salutation/greetings, (also to everybody else who replied too)

>> Just a general question; for the moment, static routing works just
>> fine, but what would be the best INTERNAL routing-protocol for a
>> IPv6-network?
>> (Looking into the possibility to have cisco-router or unix-boxes acting
>> as routers).

>    - RIP-for-IPv6 (is this 'RIPv6' ???)?
>    Is it just as limited at RIP on IPv4?
> => RIPng is RIPv2 with IPv6 support. Cheap but very limited...

True, but I guess this is a first step.
At least, it's better than static routing. ;-)

At this time, I only have a single box (a cisco-router) acting as
'gateway' to the 6bone; but I like to add redundancy to this; so I do need
to get rid of static routes.

>    - OSPF.
>    OK, I've seen RFCs on this, but are there already implementations off
>    this?
> => at least one easy to find (Zebra).
As my 'central point' is a cisco-router, I would need it BOTH in cisco and
on the unix-boxes.

(I could use RIP to go to a unix-box and then use zebra to continue in
OSPF; but let's not make things more difficult then necessairy. ;-)

>    - EIGRP?
>    Does EIGRP exist for IPv6? As this is 'cisco-stuff', not supported on
>    unix-boxes, I guess.
> => it is a patented protocol too. And as far as I know there is no support
> for IPv6 even it should be easy to add.
OK. Bad idea.
Next!

>    - ISIS?
>    We used to do both OSI CLNS and IPv4 routing in this; so ... could IPv6 be
>    added? Are there implementations of this?
> => there are some plans about IPv6 support in the new IS-IS but not yet
> available.

If I remember correctly from the time I used this), one of the great
things about ISIS, is that you can use a single routing-protocol to carry
both OSI and IPv4 routing.

So, it would be great to use a single routing-protocol to carry both IPv4
and IPv6 routing.

Anycase, are there any implementations of ISIS on unix-boxes. (without the
v6-extensions, that is!)

>    - internal BGP?
> => *not* an IGP!
Technically speaking not, but you could use it as a IGP (just assign a
private AS-number to your 'customers').

Again the same remark:
This would have the advantage to use a single routing-protocol for both
v4 and v6 routing.

>    Supported by the unix-routers?
> => yes, BGP4+ for IPv6 is supported by many softwares (nearly as much
> supported as RIPng).
Great!

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
KB905-RIPE (HOME)                               belgacom internet backbone
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff) International Connectivity