internal routing-protocols for IPv6

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:18:29 +0200

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Just a general question; for the moment, static routing works just
   fine, but what would be the best INTERNAL routing-protocol for a
   IPv6-network?
   (Looking into the possibility to have cisco-router or unix-boxes acting as
   routers).

   - RIP-for-IPv6 (is this 'RIPv6' ???)?
   Is it just as limited at RIP on IPv4?

=> RIPng is RIPv2 with IPv6 support. Cheap but very limited...

   - OSPF.
   OK, I've seen RFCs on this, but are there already implementations off
   this?

=> at least one easy to find (Zebra).

   - EIGRP?
   Does EIGRP exist for IPv6? As this is 'cisco-stuff', not supported on
   unix-boxes, I guess.

=> it is a patented protocol too. And as far as I know there is no support
for IPv6 even it should be easy to add.

   - ISIS?
   We used to do both OSI CLNS and IPv4 routing in this; so ... could IPv6 be
   added? Are there implementations of this?

=> there are some plans about IPv6 support in the new IS-IS but not yet
available.

   - internal BGP?

=> *not* an IGP!

   Supported by the unix-routers?

=> yes, BGP4+ for IPv6 is supported by many softwares (nearly as much
supported as RIPng).

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr