Firewalled tunnel

Michael Oliver/Tampa/Contr/AT&T/IJV mwoliver@us.ibm.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:27:27 -0400

I have several computers at home behind a cable modem.  The gateway is a
server running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and using a NAT/PAT application
called WinRoute.  I know that WinRoute has the ability to pass traffic of
protocol type 41, but I do not think that SyGate does.  I may be wrong, but
when I was helping a friend of mine set up an IPSec tunnel to our office,
it required us to open protocol 50 on SyGate, and we searched everywhere
for a method to do so.  In the end, we found out that the apprule.cfg file
that sygate uses to allow/disallow traffic could only be configured to
allow TCP/UDP port numbers, not specific protocols.  The IPSec support
within SyGate is built in to the application, therefore not configurable.
Note that I am not an expert on SyGate, but support for protocol 41 may be
built in as well, or they may have a new version that allows this
configuration now.

Aaron,  since your Dad is using Win2K, have you talked to him about
downloading the IPv6 kit from MSDN?  The new kit allows you to set up a
tunnel through Microsoft lickety-split, no prob.  In my environment, I have
the IPv6 kit installed on several Win2k Pro clients, as well as the AdvSrv
that is the gateway (WinRoute).  On the gateway, all I have to do is go to
the command line, enter the command "6to4cfg.exe -r -s" and my whole LAN
then has connectivity to the 6BONE.  Let me know how it goes, ok?

Michael W. Oliver
oliver.michael@gargantuan.com (home)
mwoliver@att.com (work)

Daniel Richards <kyhwana@world-net.co.nz>@ISI.EDU on 10/13/2000 05:47:00 PM