Private network

Peter Curran pcurran@ticl.co.uk
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:47:34 +0100

Geoff

There are three types of Unicast address in IPv6:
Link-local:  (fe80::/64):  These are only valid across the link (physical
network) to which you are attached.  They cannot be routed and are normally
assigned automatically during autoconfiguration.

Site-local: (fec0::/64):  These are only valid within a single organisation
(which could span multiple sites).  They are routable addresses, but contain
no public routing information and so cannot be routed across the Internet.
They are equivalent to the RFC1918 address range (network 10, etc) in terms
of the way they are intended to be used - they are private addresses.

Global:  These are assigned and managed by regional and local internet
registries (ISPs) and contain public routing information - so they work on
the Internet.  They are designed so that the 16-bit space assigned for
routing within an organisation's network (the SLA field) corresponds with
the equivalent field (Subnet ID) within the site-local address.  This means
that a site could use both site-local and global addressing and maintain the
same internal routing structure.

The wisdom of using both global and site local addresses has been questioned
many times on the IPNG list.  There are clearly 'gotchas' to using
site-local addresses in this way.

I hope this clears up the confusion over what addresses exist and what they
are for.  You should really check out RFC2460 for the details.

I am not clear why you think the existence or otherwise of site-local
addresses effects your ability to connect to the 6bone.  You need a single
global IPv4 address.  Contact one for the tunnel brokers (I suggest
freenet6), supply your data and you will be assigned a global IPv6 prefix
for your network.  Thats it!

Cheers

Peter