getting a tunnel peer...

Terry Moore-Read mterry6249@uswest.net
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:56:00 -0700

I found viagenie to be very helpful - I tried the freenet6 server - once I had that working I put out a request on this list for a tunnel and was contacted directly by ipv6 staff at viagenie who had a site tunnel set up for me very quickly.

At 12:51 PM 10/4/2000 -0700, Secret Asian Man wrote:
>In people's opinions, how long should a person wait after mailing a pTLA?
>I'm 14ms from verio's access point and it would be ideal, but knowing
>Verio, I don't know if anyone's even "home", so to speak...

A week is a reasonable wait, I would think. It seems that we have moved
into a time when most 6bone pTLAs don't respond very promptly or want to
only handle sites in thier own user community.

The 6to4 mechanism will ventually be the real answer to this (i.e., not
requiring a configured tunnel at all), but it is too soon to rely on it.

This leaves trying harder to find a helpful pTLA (another pTLA, or trying
several times more to the pTLAs not responding to you), trying the Viagenie
end-system tunnel server <http://www.freenet6.net/> , or waiting for the
6tap site tunnel server (not up yet).

I would certainly like to hear other opinions on the topic of how best to
find a helpful pTLA site.

Bob