ipv6 addressing - non-routable equivalents?

David Gethings davidg@uk.uu.net
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:36:19 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> What I don't understand is what to do if you want multiple global
> addresses on a single computer.  Is there some way of generating multiple
> IPv6 addresses from a single Ethernet address or am I supposed to generate
> random global addresses and do a collision detection or do I have to buy a
> bunch of old, dead Ethernet cards and use their addresses?  With the large
> address space available in IPv6, it makes sense to use address-based
> virtual hosting and server addresses should be global, or so I understand.
Jonathan,

If I recall the IPv6 RFC correctly you can ues part of the last 64 bits
for multiple addresses on a single computer.

As you know the last 64 bits of an IPv6 address are taken from the
computers MAC address (if you wish to allocate in that manner). But a MAC
address is only 48 bits long, leaving a tasty 8 bits.

As I understand it the computer *can* use these 8 bits to allocate
multiple addresses without too much further configuration. How you do this
in pratice though, I have no idea as I haven't looked into it.

Regards

--
David Gethings			UUNET, a Worldcom Company,
Network Activation Engineer	Internet House, 332 Science Park,