ipv6 addressing - non-routable equivalents?

Antonio Querubin tony@lava.net
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 20:00:31 -1000 (HST)

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> You need to read the rfc that talks about constructing an IPv6 address
> from an Ethernet address.  Basically, what I understand is that as long as
> the global bit is not set, you can generate any address you want for
> bits 64-127.  You use such addresses for things like tunnel endpoints,
> which aren't associated with Ethernet adapters and so the technique for
> converting Ethernet adapters to IPv6 addresses doesn't apply.

I've read the RFC but apart from the global invariance of this type of
address why would anyone want to use it or organize and maintain their
address space in such a manner?  The global uniqueness is neat but other
than that so what?

Ethernet addresses are for the most part unique too but who in his right
mind organizes networks by ethernet address?  Similarly where's the
incentive to organize a network using an IPv6 address that's in part based
on the ethernet MAC address?

> What I don't understand is what to do if you want multiple global
> addresses on a single computer.  Is there some way of generating multiple
> IPv6 addresses from a single Ethernet address or am I supposed to generate
> random global addresses and do a collision detection or do I have to buy a
> bunch of old, dead Ethernet cards and use their addresses?  With the large
> address space available in IPv6, it makes sense to use address-based
> virtual hosting and server addresses should be global, or so I understand.

I've been wondering exactly the same thing...