IPv6 address/port format

Michael H. Warfield mhw@wittsend.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:15:04 -0500

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 09:47:46AM -0600, David Burgess wrote:

> Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> > >   I've seen people use both "IPv6-addr port" (space sep.) and
> > > "IPv6-addr/port".  I think I really like using '/', and haven't yet
> > > found a place where that will cause problems except for in URIs.

> > It's too easily confused with network prefixes.. (IPv6-addr/prefixlen).

> > How am I supposed to know whether 3ffe:1ce1:0:b5::1/64 should be
> > parsed as an <address,port> pair or as a network prefix?

> The obvious answer is, of course, by context.  If I were to tell you to
> connect to 3ffe:1ce1:0:b5::1/64, then you would connect to service 64.
> If I was talking about routing issues, then the 64 would be the prefix
> length.

	Bzzzt...  Wrong answer...

	Firewall rule:

	Deny access to 3ffe:1ce1:0:b5::1/96

	Are you saying to restrict the rule to port 96 on that host or are
you saying restrict the rule to any port on the /96 subnet.  It's ambigous
to attempt to parse it without knowledge of the data contents you are
attempting to parse and THAT'S unacceptable as a consequence.

	Overloading the '/' is going to be ambiguous in some contexts and
I see no way to avoid that.

	[...]

	Mike
--