Cisco router IPv6 snippets /w RIP config

neal rauhauser nealr@pensat.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:37:56 +0000

  Here is a snippet of config from a cisco 7206 we use as our border router.
Comments are inline with features. The biggest bump in the road for people
who know cisco IPv4 routing is the way IPv6 RIP is set up - you must enable
it globally and then set each interface you wish to participate. This is
*very* similar to the way DVMRP (multicast routing) is handled - looks like
the just pulled the code from there and made it work for IPv6.

   In terms of address I'd suggest you use a /64 for each LAN interface and a
/127 for each WAN interface. You're not seeing things - a /127 is correct.
IPv6 uses multicasts for ARP and doesn't need the network and broadcast
addresses that you're used to in IPv4.

   I am stuck here and bored :-( If you need help drop me a line ...

! these are global commands to enable IPv6 routing - pensat is my employer's
name
! if I recall correctly you can have something like four different rip
instances with different text names
ipv6 unicast-routing
ipv6 rip pensat redistribute static

! this is my tunnel to viagenie where I get 3ffe:b00:4007/48
interface Tunnel0
 description tunnel to viagenie
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 ipv6 address 3FFE:B00:C18::33/127
 tunnel source 209.58.21.248
 tunnel destination 206.123.31.101
 tunnel mode ipv6ip

! here is a tunnel from my border 7206 to a router I have at home on my cable
modem
interface Tunnel4
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 ipv6 address 3FFE:B00:4007::1/127
! this is how you enable rip on an interfacae
 ipv6 rip pensat enable
 tunnel source 209.58.21.248
 tunnel destination 24.3.233.101
 tunnel mode ipv6ip

! the border 7206 has nothing but a fast ethernet port attached to a 3com hub

! the config is very similar to a tunnel address
interface FastEthernet0/0
 description Connection to core1.mclean-va.pensat.net
 ip address 209.58.21.98 255.255.255.224
 no ip directed-broadcast
 ip ospf interface-retry 0
 half-duplex