Trying to get on 6bone.. not getting answers from site contacts.

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:15:43 -0700

Bill,

At 11:06 AM 9/29/99 -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>I'm attempting to set up a 6bone router at MIT which will provide
>native v6 service on a couple of on-campus ethernets as well as
>tunnels for folks topologically near campus..
>
>I'm attempting to follow the script in http://www.6bone.net/6bone_hookup.html
>
>I've contacted a couple people who are listed as pTLA contacts in the
>past week or so, and haven't gotten any answers yet.  I'm prepared to
>be patient, but I have no idea how long to wait; it would be useful if
>the 6bone_hookup document set expectations properly by saying
>something like, "be prepared to wait a week or two before they get
>back to you, these folks are busy".

Sorry about that. Yes, I should make it clearer that you often get no
response at all.

My suggestion is to contact Dale Finkelson with the Internet2/Abilene
project as I believe he would host you. I've cc'd him above.

>An addressing model question:
>
>There are a number of folks living near campus with single-IP-address
>cable modem connectivity who have their own backend networks and
>appear to be interested in playing with v6 tunnels as a NAT
>alternative.  Should I just allocate each one a subnet or two of a
>single shared site?  Should I be looking at each of these off-campus
>households as a "site"?  (assuming i understand the model, this may
>mean I'd really want to turn into a pNLA..).

Presuming these folks on cable modems are not on you own MIT network,
rather some cable ISP, they will have to tunnel to you. This means that you
need to decide how to build manual tunnels from your IPv6
router/server/system at MIT to the systems at home.

Deciding how to do this is a process of deciding whether you build /64 or
/126 or some other form of tunnels (others can debate this on the list for
you).

Note this doesn't require you to be a pNLA, just a regular end-site with
tunnels to your off-site users.

Bob