(ngtrans) Working Group last call for BROKER-02, closes 1 Dec 99

Guardini Ivano Ivano.Guardini@CSELT.IT
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:40:12 +0100

Matt,

draft-ietf-ngtrans-broker-02 is intended to be framework document
describing the guidelines for the provision of a Tunnel Broker service
within the Internet. For this reason it does not specifies any protocol
or MIME type but details the general architecture of the proposed
approach and outlines a set of available alternatives for implementing it.
Anyway I agree with you when you say that the use of a newly
defined MIME type to deliver the tunnel parameters to the client is a
very attractive alternative which is certainly worth envisaging. But I think
that such an effort should be the subject of a companion document to
be published on the standards track.
What I can certainly do in broker-02 is to add a few sentences
clarifying that the MIME-based approach you propose is a valuable
alternative for the implementation of the broker-client interaction and that
for this reason the definition of a new MIME type to deliver tunnel
configuration parameters is strongly recommended. In addition I can
better clarify in the security considerations that the use of .bat or shell
scripts to configure the client is frightening insecure and should be
considered only for early implementations of the Tunnel Broker approach.

Bye
Ivano