Proposed change in 6bone pTLA 3FFE usage - 2nd (final?)

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:27:49 -0700 (PDT)

> > PROVISIONAL IPv6 ASSIGNMENT AND ALLOCATION POLICY DOCUMENT
> > (28 May 1999)
> >	That the RIRs sent to the IANA, they adopt the 13bit cutpoint
> >	that was proposed in RFC 2450 and also proposed for the 6bone
> >	and rejected for pragmatic operational reasons as described in
> >	you note to the 6bone (below).  RFC 2471 also calls for bit-level
> >	delegations.  My feeling is that the RIRs
> >	should also adopt this feature and not attempt to enforce
> >	delegations on bit bounds.
> >
> As for RFC2471, in real practice it only exists to allocate the special 1FFE TLA to the 6bone, nothing else. It certainly isn't in conflict with what the RIRs are doing. The RIR plans to allocate /29 prefixes while not allowing the sTLA holder to use more than /35 without approval is consitent with history, and at this point a fact of life. I also don't thnk it will matter much at this stage of the IPv6 process.

	Bob,
	There is a real problem with cut points on bit boundaries.
	The DNS implementations we have available for use won't
	work unless apply the cname hack on the equivalent of IPv4
	/2 boundaries. This is an operational hit that the existing
	6bone users refused to take.
	Thats why there was the encouragement for you to change the
	6bone delegations to /28 and not /29
	RFC 2450 and RFC 2471 both recommend sub-TLA delegations
	at the /29 level. So does this proposed RIR document.
	If you really don't think this is a problem then why did
	you make the change to /28 delegations for the 6bone?
	Also remember that there is nothing that an RIR can do
	to "not allow" a delegate to use their full delegation.
	If you really beleive that it does not matter at this stage
	then I disagree with you. Inverse delegations will not work,
	delaying acceptence of this protocol.

--
--bill