Proposed change in 6bone pTLA 3FFE usage - 2nd (final?)

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:44:17 -0700

Bill,

At 03:40 PM 6/7/99 -0700, bmanning@ISI.EDU wrote:

>> Bill,
>>
>> I don't understand your comment on this. There appears no conflict in the
>proposed 6bone TLA usage with any of the docs you mention (by the way,
>RFC1897 is obsoleted). I'm probably missing something obvious, so please say
>more.
>
> Well, in the document:
> PROVISIONAL IPv6 ASSIGNMENT AND ALLOCATION POLICY DOCUMENT
> (28 May 1999)
>	That the RIRs sent to the IANA, they adopt the 13bit cutpoint
>	that was proposed in RFC 2450 and also proposed for the 6bone
>	and rejected for pragmatic operational reasons as described in
>	you note to the 6bone (below).  RFC 2471 also calls for bit-level
>	delegations.  My feeling is that the RIRs
>	should also adopt this feature and not attempt to enforce
>	delegations on bit bounds.
>
>And while we can declare RFC1897 obsolete, the fact remains that it still
>exists. (sort of like the all-ones, all-zeros broadcast values)  Unless I
>am mis-reading the draft-ietf-ipngwg-iana-tla-01.txt document, this old
>delegation falls right in the APNIC proposed delegation...  (I must be
>misreading this)

RFC1897 is truly obsolete, and tho a few people persist in not renumbering their devices, most of us just filter them out. For all real purposes they are non-existant.

Also, RFC1897 used the old format prefix 010 that is unassigned in the current address architecture doc, RFC2373, so there is no overlap even if you believe the old 6bone test prefixes are still in use (which they really arent').

As for RFC2471, in real practice it only exists to allocate the special 1FFE TLA to the 6bone, nothing else. It certainly isn't in conflict with what the RIRs are doing. The RIR plans to allocate /29 prefixes while not allowing the sTLA holder to use more than /35 without approval is consitent with history, and at this point a fact of life. I also don't thnk it will matter much at this stage of the IPv6 process.

Thanks,

Bob

---
Bob will be on travel from June 9 until the Oslo IETF meeting (July 11-16), and will not be responsive to email until July 21. Please direct 6bone & ngtrans questions to Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@imag.fr>.