Bad routes update

Perry E. Metzger perry@piermont.com
23 Jul 1999 14:09:10 -0400

Craig Metz <cmetz@inner.net> writes:
> In message <87n1wo6bqq.fsf@jekyll.piermont.com>, you write:
> >No, but we can deploy a new external gateway protocol with a 32 or 64
> >bit AS space far more easily than we can deploy a new version of
> >IP. I've seen external routing protocols come and go over the the
> >years...
>
>   Perhaps one of the real routing geeks can comment better than I can on this
> issue, but I have been told by several routing geeks who know what they're
> talking about that the world is currently fairly locked into BGP4; any new
> protocols or even major changes to BGP4 run into big deployment problems. So
> IMO more likely that more aggressive ASN space management would come before
> the number space problem gets fixed.

Although I can't possibly imagine a world where we'll need four
billion ASes, I can easily imagine one where we need two hundred
thousand, which certainly exceeds 16 bits.

Perhaps, given that IPv6 is not yet widely deployed, this would be the
time to expand the width of that field, if only in an IPv6 context, so
that we won't have to worry in five or ten years.

Perry