Bad routes update

Craig Metz cmetz@inner.net
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:59:30 -0400

In message <87n1wo6bqq.fsf@jekyll.piermont.com>, you write:
>No, but we can deploy a new external gateway protocol with a 32 or 64
>bit AS space far more easily than we can deploy a new version of
>IP. I've seen external routing protocols come and go over the the
>years...

  Perhaps one of the real routing geeks can comment better than I can on this
issue, but I have been told by several routing geeks who know what they're
talking about that the world is currently fairly locked into BGP4; any new
protocols or even major changes to BGP4 run into big deployment problems. So
IMO more likely that more aggressive ASN space management would come before
the number space problem gets fixed.

									-Craig