IPv6: Enet. problem

J. Marsman marsman@telin.nl
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:34:27 +0100

--------------8E8A16F452A42C94ECB512DE

Hello all,

We are trying to set up an IPv6 network for testing QoS and IPv6 Sec. At

the moment we have two Win NT 4.0 machines configured with IPv6, these
two machines can Ping each other. After this we configured a Linux
machine with kernel 2.2.1 and so on. This machine can ping itself and,
as far as we can see, works fine.
The problem is we cannot ping the NT machine from the Linux machine or
the Linux machin from the NT machine.
After some packet sniffering with NetMon with the IPv6 update from
microsoft we found that on ethernet level the ping from the NT machine
used Etype: 0x0800.
On the other hand the ping from the linux machine used Etype 0x86DD, as
far as we know this is the standard etype for IPv6.

Can this differenc in etype be a problem? Are there known problems with
pinging from NT to linux and backwards? HOw to solve......

Regards,

Jan Marsman
Marsman@telin.nl