renumbering (was: 6BONE AUP)

Alain Durand Alain.Durand@imag.fr
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:29:31 +0100

At 11:19 17/02/99 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>We might want to try running "fire drills" on renumbering in the
>6bone in order to see what breaks and what gets to be too painful
>without fixes if one renumbers regularly.

We actualy went through a global renumbering session on the 6bone once,
when we moved from 5F RFC1897 addresses to the new aggregated 3FFE ones.

Transiting my site was not that big a deal. The main issue was to convince
people running 6bone leaf sites to do the job.
The overall process took more than 3 months at the time.

In the RIPE draft paper about IPv6 address allocation, they specify
that you will have 3 months to renumber.

example taken from this draft:
	when an ISP is moving from a sub-TLA to a TLA

> ... The sub-TLA will have 3 months to return the sub-TLA space
> after the TLA has been allocated.

	- Alain.