stla registry db issue

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:21:51 -0600

Well, here is the key text from RFC 2374. (there is no reason it should
be different in subTLA space):

   ...It is recommended that
   organizations assigning NLA address space use "slow start" allocation
   procedures similar to [RFC2050].

   The design of an NLA ID allocation plan is a tradeoff between routing
   aggregation efficiency and flexibility.  Creating hierarchies allows
   for greater amount of aggregation and results in smaller routing
   tables.  Flat NLA ID assignment provides for easier allocation and
   attachment flexibility, but results in larger routing tables.

My concern is that the way Kazu asked his question, with the concern about
frequent updates, did not seem compatible with the idea of slow start and
hierarchical aggregation. If we don't start with habits that create aggressive
aggregation, IPv6 routing will be in deep trouble as it grows.

I also have a concern that if an operator is really an ISP, giving them an
NLA instead of a subTLA may be a problem until we have proved how to do
convenient renumbering. What happens when they want to migrate away from using
WIDE as their aggregator? (I realise that this is a heretical thought, since
the current rules on subTLAs are more restrictive.)

However, I agree that Kazu is not describing a strict violation of the RFCs.

   Brian