Reverse DNS, IPv6

Bruce Campbell bruce.campbell@apnic.net
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:06:51 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Peter Tattam wrote:

peter> > On a related note, APNIC is also putting the reverse delegations for IPv4
peter> > and IPv6 as the matching in-addr.arpa and ip6.int domain objects into the
peter> > APNIC whois database and generating the appropriate zone files daily.
peter> >
peter> > 	ie: whois -h whois.apnic.net 0.0.0.2.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int
peter> >
peter> > As IPv6 is relatively new, does anyone have comments on how to manage IPv6
peter> > reverse delegations?  Bear in mind that a human editing the zone files is
peter> > *not* an option ;) .
peter>
peter> BTW, on the reverse delegation issue, it was a hot issue recently on ipng.
peter> Most of us are stuck with manual editing at the moment.  I believe there sin't
peter> a real concensus yet on the best way to manage automatic delegation.   I can
peter> send you some templates of what I do manually though.

After re-reading the ipng mails, the debate seemed to be more in dealing
with reverse delegations for individual hosts.  My concern is more with
the 'lofty' (so to speak) delegations as done by the registries, or by
ISPs to customer sites.  I doubt that we'd would ever be using dhcp for
such delegations (scary).

--==--
Bruce.

Sysadmin, APNIC.