shared pTLA?

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:01:41 -0700

Rafal,

At 04:47 AM 8/10/99 +0200, Rafal Maszkowski wrote:
>I would like to share our pTLA prefix with another site in Poland. Working
>together we will get more redundancy and more involvement from this other
>group. I am considering various options:
>
>- they could propagate our prefix as a pNLA - this is forbidden by routing
>  rules, even more explicitely in recent draft
>- they could use our ASN for propagating pTLA prefix simultaneously (if the
>  software allows) with their pNLA prefixes (using a separate ASN for this)
>- provider's branch option (testing 'provider buys another provider' on
6BONE:)
>  - their router could work just as our another router, only placed in another
>  city
>
>I think there is no problem with 3rd option, would not insist on breaking
rules
>by using 1st, I wonder if 2nd is legitimate. What do you think, would we need
>anything more than negotiate the setups with BGP peers (to make them pass pTLA
>prefix and filter out the pNLA prefixes)?

No one else seems to have responded to you, so I'll try. In my simple view
if you want to both share the same pTLA, you are both are agreeing to act
as one network. This means to me same ASN, same BGP4+ policies to your
peers, and literally running both sets of routers as if they are one and
the same network. Essentailly your third option above.

Bob