shared pTLA?

Rafal Maszkowski rzm@icm.edu.pl
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:47:51 +0200

I would like to share our pTLA prefix with another site in Poland. Working
together we will get more redundancy and more involvement from this other
group. I am considering various options:

- they could propagate our prefix as a pNLA - this is forbidden by routing
  rules, even more explicitely in recent draft
- they could use our ASN for propagating pTLA prefix simultaneously (if the
  software allows) with their pNLA prefixes (using a separate ASN for this)
- provider's branch option (testing 'provider buys another provider' on 6BONE:)
  - their router could work just as our another router, only placed in another
  city

I think there is no problem with 3rd option, would not insist on breaking rules
by using 1st, I wonder if 2nd is legitimate. What do you think, would we need
anything more than negotiate the setups with BGP peers (to make them pass pTLA
prefix and filter out the pNLA prefixes)?

R.