IPv6 assignment and Allocation Policy Document

Philip Smith pfs@cisco.com
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:55:39 +1000

At 18:25 26/04/99 +0100, Rute Sofia wrote:

>I've read the IPv6 Assignment and Allocation Policy Document and think
>it is quite resonable now :-), at least for what concerns the initial
>deployment. However, I have some considerations:
>
>in point 4.2.2, "Criteria for sub-TLA Allocations in Transitional
>Bootstrap phase", point a. states that "the requesting organization's
>network...with at least three other public AS in the default-free zone".
>
>What is meant by "default-free zone"?

"The default free zone is made up of Internet routers which have explicit
routing information about the rest of the Internet, and therefore do not
need to use a default route."

So my understanding of 4.2.2(a) is that the requesting organisation would
be one which is receiving the full Internet routing table separately from 3
neighbouring ASes, and is therefore able to use that routing table to make
intelligent decisions about where to send IP packets.

philip