Proposed change in 6bone pTLA 3FFE usage

Miguel Rosa mrosa@fc.ul.pt
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:33:01 +0100

> One suggestion for this was to use a 12-bit pTLA (thus a /28 prefix) to
> keep to a 4-bit boundary.

> Another (offline) suggestion was to use the /29 as a forcing factor to
have
> folks adopt the newer DNS bit specification method (I'm unfamiliar with
> this and when it might appear).
>
> Another question about this proposal is, do we leave the first half /24
> usage as is, or make those folk renumber eventually to the bigger space?
> Maybe this doesn't matter at the start, but I'd like opinions on this.
>
> Your comments to the list please.

The idea of using 12-bit pTLA seems good enough. We would have, for now, 128
pTLAS in the first half (prefix 3FFE:xx00::/24 for xx bettween 00 and 7F)
and 2048 in the second (prefix 3FFE:xxx0::/24 for xxx bettween 800 and FFF).
Then, there would be a recommendation for the current xx be converted to the
best xxx that they would like (i.e., gives them less trouble to convert).

We would increasingly have the 4096 pTLA capacity after all conversions and
not have to worry about the DNS problem because I'm also with Magnus about
all that he says, although it would be great to have bit-level reverse
delegations.

Miguel Rosa
mrosa@fc.ul.pt
http://www.ip6.fc.ul.pt