Quick questions (on a deadline)

Jim Bound bound@zk3.dec.com
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:10:29 -0400

Pete,

>- Any comments about relative importance of dual-IP vs tunneling vs
>NAT-PT for IPv4/IPv6 interoperability?

Yep.  We are working on it diligently.  We are not done yet.  We hope to
be done soon.  Right now to build any products on these technologies is
premature.  Prototypes yes.  Thats why I think ngtrans is now far more
important for cycles in the IETF than IPng at this time.  IMHO of course.

Users need to determine as I pointed out to you for the article what,
how, and when they want to transition and what is best for their
business model.

Multiple tools will be defined and some out of the IETF most likely that
will be added value.  But a user will have a range of tools to use just
like a carpenter, mason, or landscaper does in their tasks.

Each of the tools are important you mentioned above IMO.  How they will
be used and by whom will be TBD when IPv6 deployment ramps up a bit more
than now.

I could see a case where all three are used in one organization
eventually.

/jim