6bone Prequalification for Sub-TLA assignment

Joe Abley jabley@clear.co.nz
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 08:09:15 +1200

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 02:24:01AM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Joe Abley writes:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 10:47:19PM -0500, Nathan Lane wrote:
> > > A perspective from a Fortune 5 company with a large IP deployment:
> > >
> > > I'm currently in the throes of whether or not to obtain a huge allocation of
> > > ipv4 addresses at great cost (I already have 28 /16s [enough left for about a
> > > year given no surprises] and a usage of about a million or two 1918 private
> > > addresses) for a project that will take years to implement.  If I can go in and
> > > say "we go ipv6, with a no/low cost address allocation big enough for our now
> > > and future needs" I'll get support for that when faced with a $2.5mil ARIN
> > > bill.
> >
> > Eh?
> >
> > APNIC will give me as many addresses as I can justify at no cost, as long
> > as I am a member. Membership costs US$2000 per year.
> >
> > Is ARIN so different?
>
> Yes:
>
> http://www.arin.net/feeschedule.html

Does anybody pay this?

For this money, it is far more cost effective to buy an IPLC to an Asian
country so you can legitimately obtain addresses from APNIC as an Asian
operator :/

Incidentally, the APNIC member schedules (small, medium, large) are
related to the number of votes you get as an APNIC member, and are nothing
really to do with the size (or rate of address consumption) of your
organisation.

If you're happy having only a single vote for the annual APNIC meetings,
then there is nothing wrong with joining as a "small" organisation (which
costs US$2000 per year, from memory).

Joe

--
Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>      Tel +64 9 912-4065, Fax +64 9 912-5008