Beta of IPv6 Trumpet Winsock release imminent, some musings

Peter R. Tattam pete@trumpet.com.au
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:25:12 +1100

As I have a beta just about ready to release, I just want to be prepared for
the onslaught that it may generate.

If a whole bunch of people want to connect to the 6bone, are 6bone members
able to provide quick access to those that may want to beta test.  I plan to
make the beta available to regular Trumpet beta testers.

The initial beta will be LAN only, I don't have PPP ready yet.  Anyone want to
offer me PPP over Ipv6 access for testing?

One possible way of providing rapid access to a large group of people might be
to use a reflector site similar to Cuseeme.  Has any work been done on that
yet?  I could see it implemented as a automatically configurable multi
user tunnel (cavern?) with the client connecting to a fixed IP, and bootp/dhcp
over ipv6 used to provide an IPv6 address, the Ipv4/Ipv6 tuple being used to
maintain the tunnel.  I could write such a beast fairly quickly now.

Also, is there a defined way of compressing Ipv6 headers that are operating
over a tunnel.  I can see a scenario where a user is tunnelling direct from
their machine over an Ipv4 PPP connection.  The overhead of an extra 40 bytes
per Ipv6 header might make conenctions a little chunky especially something
like telnet, and also the IPv4 header won't be compressed either as it won't
be TCP protocol so there will be a minimum of 60 bytes per tunneled packet
each way.

Peter

--
Peter R. Tattam - Managing Director