IPv6 Question

Robert Szarka szarka@downcity.net
Tue, 19 May 1998 17:08:58 -0400

At 01:34 AM 5/19/98 , you wrote:
>At 7:21 PM -0700 5/18/98, Robert Szarka wrote:
>> Using private IP space does not in itself guarantee security, of course,
>> but I am as surprised as Mike to hear that it doesn't not exist in IPv6.
>
>IPv6 *does* have private address space: the link-local and site-local unicast
>addresses.  You can use site-local addresses exactly like IPv4's net 10, if
>you wish.

Ahh..  glad to hear it.  Perhaps I got the wrong impression from an earlier
message, then.

>The point that others have been making is that IPv6 has enough global
>addresses that customers need not be forced to use private address space
>for lack of sufficient global address space.  If they have other reasons
>to want to do so, then IPv6 has what they want.

Right.  It was those other reasons I was interested in...  Yes, as someone
else
pointed out, the "non-routability" of the private space depends on the ISP in
fact not routing them, but, in my case, *I* am the ISP and it makes my
customers sleep a little better at night...  :)

Robert Szarka
Managing Partner, Operations
DownCity, LLC
+1 860 823 3000