IPv6 Question

Steve Deering deering@cisco.com
Mon, 18 May 1998 22:34:06 -0700

At 7:21 PM -0700 5/18/98, Robert Szarka wrote:
> Using private IP space does not in itself guarantee security, of course,
> but I am as surprised as Mike to hear that it doesn't not exist in IPv6.

IPv6 *does* have private address space: the link-local and site-local unicast
addresses.  You can use site-local addresses exactly like IPv4's net 10, if
you wish.

The point that others have been making is that IPv6 has enough global
addresses that customers need not be forced to use private address space
for lack of sufficient global address space.  If they have other reasons
to want to do so, then IPv6 has what they want.

> Also, a related question comes to mind...  Are there multicast addresses set
> aside in IPv6 as in IPv4?

Set aside for what?  If you are asking if IPv6 has non-globally-scoped
multicast addresses, the answer is yes.

> ...and, as long as I'm already sending a message to list...  I sent email to
> someone at Cisco quite a while ago asking what I needed to participate in the
> 6bone with my Cisco routers.  No reply.  :(  Can anyone point me to more
>info?

Oops.  I'm not in the group at Cisco that does IPv6 support, but I'll pass your
message on.  Have you already checked out <http://www-6bone.lbl.gov/6bone>?

Steve