NAT

Mike Crawfurd mike.crawfurd@cmg.nl
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:16:08 +0200

Dear ppl,

   I'm still researching all the possibilities of IPv6 (for now just
theoretical), and I've stumbled onto a question.
Everywhere can be read how to encapulate IPv6 over IP and how to access
IP machines by IPv6 machines, but can an IPv4 host reach a IPv6 direct ?

I think it's probebly possible using a NAT, my question is can a host
(running for example freebsd with the ipv6 stack) act like a NAT for
translating the IPv6 addresses to something the IPv4 can connect to ?

I want to try in practice the following:

IPv6 only host  <-> IPv4/IPv6 dual stack <-> IPv4 only host

Can these nodes communicate with each other ?
I know the following communication can be establised:

IPv6 only host <-> IPv4/IPv6 dual stack

and

IPv4/IPv6 dual stack <-> IPv4 only host

so my logical conclusion is:

IPv6 only host <-> IPv4 only host

But offcourse there needs to be a NAT or gateway of somesort.
Can a FreeBSD node translate the addresses for communication between the
two IP-only hosts ?

Can someone give me some more info about this ?

--
TIA & TTUL,

Mike Crawfurd.

Mike Crawfurd                          Telephone. (+31) 10 253 7000
CMG Advanced Technologies Industries   Telefax.   (+31) 10 253 7033
Kralingseweg 241, 3062 CE Rotterdam    Mobile.    (+31) 65 534 7574
The Netherlands                        Email.     mike.crawfurd@cmg.nl