Requirments for IPv6 routers

peter dawson peterdd@gto.net.om
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:10:38 +0400

Peter ,

Peter Curran wrote:

> It's a shame that you think it is too early.  I think that it
> might be a
> good idea to have a requirements doc for routers and hosts.
> Lets face it,
> history shows that such an approach is eventually necessary to
> pressure the
> vendors into producing compliant systems with minimal
> functionality.

I agree on that at least a draft and work towards a final doc.

But with QoS, Congestion Control and maximum bandwidth
utilisation, being crucial aspects of IPng, has enough R&D
/testing
been done to specifically  produce the heathly crop as you
mentioned ? Take for example At the ATM layer, during a
Crankback (after flowspec have  been negoiated between
2 IPv6 nodes), what happens if the  Crankback occurs
to a IPv4 node ??  Well I'm trying to figure this out .. hence
the basic question for Requirments for IPv6 routers !!

However, I also understand that my line of thinking maybe
off track :))

Pete