Requirments for IPv6 routers

Peter Curran pcurran@ticl.co.uk
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 17:36:50 +0100

Matt

At 10:33 01/06/98 -0500, Matt Crawford wrote:
>> Is there any std or draft for 'Requirements for IPv6 Routers' -
>> Similar to RFC1812 ?  or is there a draft in the pipeline ?? some
>> pointers appreciated.
>
>I often ponder the need for this (and the corresponding "hosts"
>document), but I think it's a bit early to create it.

It's a shame that you think it is too early.  I think that it might be a
good idea to have a requirements doc for routers and hosts.  Lets face it,
history shows that such an approach is eventually necessary to pressure the
vendors into producing compliant systems with minimal functionality.

Why not start off IPv6 with such guidance in place from the beginning,
rather than having to develop such documents in the face of problems in the
future.

If such documents where to be produced, I am sure that the vendors (who
have spent a lot of money and R&D time in developing what is a pretty
healthy crop of basically interoperable products) could contribute their
considerable expertise developed during the UNH trials.  It could be argued
that it would benefit the early-bird vendors to have an agreement on what
constituted essential functionality, when they have to inevitably compete
with the hordes (I hope) of vendors who have yet to place their toes in the
water.

My 2p.

Peter
TICL

Peter Curran			pcurran@ticl.co.uk    http://www.ticl.co.uk
Consultant and Author
PGP key available from http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net:11371 or
ldap://certserver.pgp.com
PubKey Fingerprint =  5F94 D9A9 45EC 40A7 FB24  18BE 9C2E 74D6 E051 7F1F