about BGP4+

Bob Fink rlfink@lbl.gov
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 07:21:30 -0800

Yann-Ju,

At 10:56 AM 2/18/98 +0800, Yann-Ju Chu wrote:
> I am trying to find the BGP4+ specification, but can not find the one
>match. Is BGP4+ a formal name for "BGP4 for IPv6"?
>Is the following document the spec. for BGP4+?
>            <draft-ieft-idr-bgp4-ipv6-01> BGP4 Multiprotocol Extendison
>for IPv6 Inter-domain Routing
>If any body can answer for me, I will be very thankful.

The following was just issued by the IESG.

Bob

To: IETF-Announce:;IETF-Announce.;@ns.ietf.org@lbl.gov
Cc: RFC Editor
<rfc-editor@isi.edu>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <iab@isi.edu>
Cc:
idr@merit.edu
From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ns.ietf.org>
Protocol Action: Use of BGP-4 Multiprotocol Extensions for IPv6
Inter-Domain Routing to Proposed Standard
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:12:47
-0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Use of BGP-4 Multiprotocol
Extensions for IPv6 Inter-Domain Routing'
<draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-ipv6-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This document is
the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group. The IESG contact
person is Joel Halpern.

Technical Summary

This protocol specification defines the extensions to multi-protocol BGP-4
required to support IPv6. It thereby provides the mechanisms need to have an
inter-domain routing protocol for IPv6, with all of the proerties of BGP-4.

Working Group Summary

There was strong consensus in the working group in support of this document.
Alternatives werediscussed, and this was agreed as the way forward.

Protocol Quality

The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Joel M. Halpern, the Routing
Area Director. Use of this protocol has begun in multiple implementations.

-end