How many Tunnels [Re: Re: pTLA request]

Szabolcs Szigeti (PinkPanther) pink@fsz.bme.hu
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:44:08 +0200 (MET DST)

On 25 Aug 1998, Simon Leinen wrote:

> Is there any opinion on mentioning these problems in the "6bone
> Routing Practice" I-D, not as a recommendation but as a problem
> statement?

I agree with Simon, that this would be a good idea. The importance of good
IPv4 connectivity for a tunnel should be stressed, i think, especially as
6bone expands.

I would even suggest, that some requirements should be set up for for
tunnels, so that routing would somehow reflect the underlying ipv4 links'
parameters (rtt or hops).

> Personally, I find BME-FSZ's connectivity quite sufficient - SURFNET
> and SWITCH are both connected to Hungary over few hops the TEN-34
> research backbone.

Yes, we have ipv4 ping times around 35ms (11 hops) to SWITCH, while around
180ms (16 hops) to CICNET, with whom we also have a tunnel. In the
meantime, they are all one hop away in ipv6.

Szabolcs