keeping Aggregatable registry

Bob Fink RLFink@lbl.gov
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 07:28:35 -0700

Bernard,

At 6:17 AM -0700 9/5/97, Bernard TUY wrote:
>	The question I have is about delegation of parts of the prefix I
>could get.
>	If I correctly understood what has been discussed before, as soon
>as one
>	gets a prefix he has to maintain an Internet Registry to let everybody
>	knows the sub delegations he has performed.
>	So what format do we have to use (RIPE, ...) ? Are they tools already
>	available to facilitate these registration processes ?

Each entity getting a piece of the aggregatable number space must maintain
a registry for that below them.

So that means a TLA (pTLA in our case) keeps track of its assignments, and
if an NLA under it allocates below itself, then that NLA must also keep a
registry.

Your question on format is a good one.  David Kessens might suggest one as
he has said he can help provide the service using his 6bone registry.

Myself, I'm doing the dumb and simple 'keep a text list' approach, see:

	http://www.6bone.net/6bone_pTLA_list.html

I would be happy to have someone suggest a better format than mine, and
I'll chnage to it.

My guess is that not everyone will want to use either the 6bone registry
(in a RIPE-style format) or a simple text list, so maybe having both is a
good idea.

Comments?

Thanks,

Bob