Release 5.2 is now available

Bob Fink RLFink@lbl.gov
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 09:30:29 -0700

Pedro,

At 10:35 AM -0700 9/1/97, Pedro Marques wrote:
>The new addressing scheme has no relation at all with the low 64bits of the
>address.
>
>So regardless of the changes in addressing you can still use 48-bit 802.3
>link tokens.

As I read the Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format I-D

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-unicast-aggr-02.txt

the new Interface ID is part of the new addressing scheme.

Thus we should be testing the new prefix format AND the new EUI-64 at the
same time.

==== from the draft
3.5 Interface ID

   Interface identifiers are used to identify interfaces on a link.
   They are required to be unique on that link.  They may also be unique
   over a broader scope.  In many cases an interface's identifier will
   be the same or be based on the interface's link-layer address.
   Interface IDs used in the aggregatable global unicast address format
   are required to be 64 bits long and to be constructed in IEEE EUI-64
   format [EUI-64].  These identifiers may have global scope when a
   global token (e.g., IEEE 48bit MAC) is available or may have local
   scope where a global token is not available (e.g., serial links,
   tunnel end-points, etc.).  The "u" bit (universal/local bit in IEEE
   EUI-64 terminology) in the EUI-64 identifier must be set correctly,
   as defined in [ARCH], to indicate global or local scope.

   The procedures for creating EUI-64 based Interface Identifiers is
   defined in [ARCH].  The details on forming interface identifiers is
   defined in the appropriate "IPv6 over <link>" specification such as
   "IPv6 over Ethernet" [ETHER], "IPv6 over FDDI" [FDDI], etc.
====

>Also, as Bill Manning has pointed out the two addressing formats will
>co-exist in the 6bone for a while.

The goal is to move away from the old address format as quickly as
possible. In reality it should be what the 6bone community agrees on, and I
haven't heard much yet on this from the mailer.

Thanks,

Bob