Literal addresses in URLs - 'splain to me

Patrik Graeser patrikg@edu.jonkoping.se
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:45:48 +0000

> Right, this is *exactly* what we have to decide about.
> Are there any operational situations where fixing DNS *requires*
> web access?
>
>   Brian
>
> >- bound@zk3.dec.com said:
> >

> > >However the fact is that when there is a catastrophic operational
> > >problem with DNS, there can be cases where the *only* way to
> > >repair the network is by using literal addresses, either to
> > >send mail to another site, or to access remote systems -
> > >and URLs are one of the ways we access remote systems these days.
> > >So while I stick to the deprecation of literal addresses that is
> > >in RFC 1900, I regretfully feel that we need them as emergency backup.
> >
> > A valid point.  But I don't see repairing DNS using URLs.  No one is
> > saying you can't use IPv6 addresses in this input.  Just we don't need
> > them for URLs.  They work fine now with FTP, Telnet, etc..
> >
> > /jim

In todays "way to work" a lot of admin is done using web...
Some machines *require* admin to take place over web since that is the
primary interface... Some just use admin over web since that is the
"easy" way and they don't know enough to do otherwise!

Don't flame me if I'm wrong but...

In the SUN Netra I use(d to use) for primary DNS/mail exchanger the
only way to make changes AND be sure they stick during the next reboot
is to use the supplied web-based admin tools! Since the tools are
there and a lot of administrators don't know enough to do things
otherwise there should be ways to use the tools (from an location
other than the console) even if the DNS is totaly gone!

//Patrik Graeser
Chief network administrator, educational net's
the IT-management unit, SBF, Jonkopings kommun
E-mail (preferred): patrikg@edu.jonkoping.se