Literal addresses in URLs - 'splain to me

Matthias Urlichs smurf@noris.de
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:55:48 +0200 (Funky)

Brian:
>Right, this is *exactly* what we have to decide about.
>Are there any operational situations where fixing DNS *requires*
>web access?

Some boxes (firewalls, for instance) are administered by a WWW interface.
They may either not have a Telnet interface, or the administrator (or the
manual...) is sufficiently clueless that it may not be possible for them to
fix the DNS without a browser.

On the other hand, if we include the ability to use URLs with IPv6
addresses, then the terminally clueless (including some search engines)
will no doubt use them (instead of domain names) internally. We already see
that with IPv4, and IMHO it's a problem. It's going to be more of a problem
with IPv6.

On balance ... I don't know yet.  :-/

--
Matthias Urlichs